Thank you for considering Good Shepherd for your family's childcare! We are committed to helping your child grow socially, emotionally, physically and academically in an inclusive child care center and preschool. With 50 years of service to families, here are just a few reminders of how your child will benefit at Good Shepherd School for Children.
- We only accept 74 children. Most for-profits now handle 150-225 children.
- Our lead teachers average 15+ years of early childhood experience.
- Our ratios for children over age 2 are lower than the state requires. We have 1 teacher for every six preschoolers. Depending on the age of your child, state ratios can be 1-to-8, 1-to-10, or 1-to-16.
- You receive a daily electronic report that shares what and how much your child has eaten, how much he has slept, bathroom breaks and all the exciting and fun activities she has participated in that day!
- In a field where turnover is high, our teaching staff is stable. Three out of our 8 lead teachers have been here more than 5 years! Two teachers have been here 2+ years.
- Our on-staff therapists push into the preschool classrooms with free specialized learning such as Social Thinking(R) and free screenings.
- Your child will learn based off of a Creative Curriculum and you may access their weekly lesson plans at any time on the parent website.
- We offer a quarterly schoolwide STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) unit to help children develop comfort and fun with these topics. Our goals are to teach children the scientific principle of observation and help their critical thinking skills. Here are examples of projects we've done in the past four year: Polar Expeditions; using the 3 Little Pigs theme, we did units on robotics, engineering; raised butterflies and baby chicks; our solar system.
- Good Shepherd features the Handwriting without Tears program. Most of our 5-year-olds enter kindergarten able to print their names in capital and small letters.
- Our 5-year-olds routinely test in the 90th percentile at the kindergarten entry. We have an excellent reputation with Parkway, Rockwood, Pattonville and surrounding parochial schools.
Flexibility and Reliability
- If your child will be in the infant rooms, we will follow your preferences on feedings as well as sleeping routines, etc.
- If you want to talk with someone about a concern or change, just walk in, take the first door on your right and talk with the president, director of early childcare or business coordinator. We can take action without having to consult a national or regional office.
- In the past seven winters, we have only closed twice!
- Have you seen our huge playroom? This is a great place for your child to release that fabulous energy especially during those cold-winter months.
- Plentiful parking and easy, but safe access to our campus with a traffic light onto Olive.
1170 Timber Run Drive | St. Louis, MO 63146 | 314.469.0606